Event: Ultra Music Melbourne 2019
Client: Bar None Group | Role : Operations Manager
Venue : Flemington Racecourse Grounds
Ultra Music Festival Australia 2019 was the first “official” fully fledged Australian event, after 2018’s successful “Road To Ultra” edition. 2019 consisted of 3 stages, including one of the largest main stages ever seen in the southern hemisphere, on a site capable of holding 30,000 patrons. Acts included Martin Garrix, The Chain Smokers, Marshmello, Adam Beyer, Dubfire, Nicole Moudaber, Illenium, Slushi, Young Bombs, Sunset Bros, Tigerlilly & Will Sparks.
Click any image to see full size
I came on board several weeks out from the event as a core member of the “Bar None” team, who’s director (as licencee/nominee) was servicing all aspects of Bars, public food, private catering, and supplementary beverage service on site. Wearing dual hats, the director was also a partner in the festival proper, and as a result my remit was across the site “in general” in addition to the above.
Pictured : The management structure, edited for privacy.
As eyes and ears of both a licencee and partner, key parts of my role included overseeing general site compliance, customer service and presentation, security, and emergency response in addition to assisting with all liquor and bar related issues. I needed to ensure we had a “big picture” of the site, ensured patrons remained safe and happy, all the while minimising any liability to our director as the liquor nominee.
Pictured : Just one of three main bars. Tills for days…count em.
Services provided during the planning phase included
- Contractor scheduling, site induction, and direction,
- Graphically designing signage, accreditation, briefing pack and editing presentations. (Photoshop, InDesign, Powerpoint),
- Ensuring compliance with relevant liquor signage law,
- Drafting Radio and Bar S.O.P’s and checklists,
- Drafting incident report sheets and staff briefings around them,
- Drafting asset management sheets,
- Assisting conduct the whole-team-management final briefing,
- Finalising bar layouts in consideration of on-the-ground plan changes,
- – and a whole lot more.
Pictured : The Management Team Briefing
An incredibly talented crew of well over 300 staff, in addition to a lot of careful planning by an exceptionally talented team came together for a generally busy, but smooth, experience.